Society does not provide many opportunities for boys to learn fathering skills, while at the same time promoting expectations that new dads will be supportive, strong, knowledgeable and involved.
If you are a very young dad, you are probably at the stage where you have plans, dreams, a need for excitement and risk and variety. You may not be ready to give up youthful activities. You may wonder about commitment and constraints. You may not be ready for responsibilities.
Nevertheless, being a father does give you opportunities. You will be exposed to new challenges. You will need to show strength, self-control and risk awareness. You will develop new skills and maybe discover talents you did not know you have. You have the chance to feel good about yourself, and gain the admiration and respect of others.
Baby Massage by Design can’t make decisions for your, or help you negotiate the challenges ahead. However, it can help you, your baby, and your baby’s mother in important ways.
- You will learn about fathering skills and about your own unique baby and his needs.
- You will develop confidence in your ability to take care of your baby.
- You will be able to show your baby your gentle, nurturing self, and teach him to trust and feel safe.
- You will become aware of the importance of loving touch.
- You will learn ways to manage the inevitable stressful events in raising a baby.
- You will be able to give your baby a head-start in developing social and emotional intelligence (seen as crucial for later academic success and resilience) by establishing a strong bond between the two of you.
- Your relationship with the baby’s mother may well be complicated, but good parenting will make it easier to be supportive and friendly.
Baby Massage by Design offers a very special concession rate for very young parents (under 21 years of age). Please contact me for no-obligation information on a course that would suit you.